AlterG® Physical Therapy Case Studies
See case studies from physical therapists and athletic trainers with experience using the AlterG® Anti-Gravity Treadmill™ to help patients rehabilitate from a variety of injuries, surgeries, and conditions. These case studies have been developed with physical therapists and athletic trainers who have firsthand experience using the Anti-Gravity Treadmill™.
Total Knee Arthroplasty
Early post-operative mobilization for patients is important to prevent complications and improve functional mobility. The AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill can encourage safe gait training and exercise in the early post-operative stages for patients under skilled nursing care. Improved functional status is key for a patient to be discharged safely from skilled nursing care to home health/outpatient PT.
- Early motion post-operatively to improve function.
- Safe progression of functional status to help patient move to home health/outpatient PT.
- Allows patients with comorbidities like cardiovascular disease and diabetes to avoid further decline and increased severity in those conditions from bed rest/inactivity.
Non-Surgical Knee OA
Knee OA is the most common form of joint arthritis and can result in debilitating pain for sufferers. Loss of function and quality life can lead to devastating consequences for health and happiness. Lower body positive pressure training allows sufferers to perform functional activities like walking and squats with decreased joint compression forces. Increased activity/exercise can result in significant improvements in pain, ROM, and strength.
- Perform functional activities like walking and squats with decreased tibiofemoral joint compression force.
- Decrease pain, improve ROM, increase strength.
- Objective track progress.
Unicompartmental Knee Replacement
A unicompartmental knee replacement after a very active lifestyle can leave an active individual anxious to return to activity. The AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill allows for progressive weight bearing as tolerated to get moving again.
- Develop a normal gait pattern
- Progressively improve hip, knee, and core strength
- Return to a normal walking program
Fibula Stress Fracture
After a fibular stress fracture, patients are limited to weight bearing as tolerated to manage their pain and get moving again. With the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill, regular movement can be maintained and replicated by unweighting to minimize pain.
- Improve ankle ROM through increased ankle joint mobility and flexibility
- Develop a progressive return to activity with WBAT
- Maintain fitness and function in a safe environment
Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphyses
Post-surgery athletes recovering from hip injuries are quick to want to return to sport. Using the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill can provide a quicker return to sport while minimizing overuse and pain.
- Restore normal gait mechanics
- Increase strength of lower extremities and core stabilizers
- Develop cardiovascular conditioning
Proximal Tibia Fracture
An undiagnosed stress fracture that leads to a weakened tibia can worsen the injury and create a situation where the patient is unable to be fully weight bearing. The AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill can be used to maintain strength and range of motion while wearing an orthopedic boot.
- Increase ankle range of motion to normal limits
- Decrease pain at fracture site
- Run at decreased weight
- Normalize gait pattern
Stress Fracture – 3rd Metatarsal
Runners and other endurance athletes are concerned about taking too much time off activity for fear of losing cardiovascular conditioning. LBPP treadmills allow for earlier return to running with a safe, controlled progression.
- Allows for safe, controlled return to running progression.
- Helps runners work on restoring mechanics in a pain-free, minimal stress environment.
- Can be used as an injury prevention tool allowing runners to complete mileage with less load/impact once healed.
- Preferred over aqua jogging/aquatic therapy because it most closely feels like/resembles running overground.